Effective Date: December 7, 2017
This Privacy Notice (this “Notice”) describes the type of information that The Salt Lake Tribune (“SL Trib” or “we”) collects through your use of our online platform (www.sltrib.com), and mobile apps (collectively, the “Services”). This Notice does not apply to information collected about you through any other means, including information collected by third parties or through non-electronic or offline means.
This Notice covers:
- What Personal Data is collected by SL Trib through our Services.
- How SL Trib uses this information.
- With whom SL Trib may share Personal Data.
- What choices are available to you with respect to collection, use and sharing of this information.
- What types of security procedures are in place to protect the loss or misuse of this information under our control.
By accessing or using the Services, or by clicking the “accept” button when you register to use a Service, you consent to our use of your Personal Data as described in this Notice. This Notice may change from time to time. Your continued use of a Service after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Notice periodically for updates.
This Notice is part of, and is governed by, the SL Trib Terms of Service.
A. Information We Collect
We collect information from you in two ways. First, you provide us with certain information when you register for and use our Services. Second, we collect certain information automatically as you interact with our Services. “Personal Data” for purposes of this Privacy Notice is the information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person.
- Identifying information. We may collect Personal Data, including your name, email address, phone number, and physical address.
- User generated content. When you provide comments or vote for projects and features, we may collect that content and associate it with your profile.
We use a third-party payment processor to handle payment transactions. Any payments you make will be subject to their privacy notices.
2. Information We Automatically Collect from You When You Use the Services
Information collected through our cookies and web beacons. We (or service providers on our behalf) may use technologies, including “cookies” and “web beacons,” to collect automatically information from you when you use the Services. Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored within your Internet browser, which saves and recognizes your browsing habits. SL Trib uses both session cookies (which track a user’s progression during one site visit) and persistent cookies (which track a user over time). Web beacons are web page elements that can recognize certain types of information on your computer or mobile device, such as the time and date you viewed a page, which emails are opened, which links are clicked, and similar information.
Information that may be collected by cookies and web beacons when you use the Services may include, without limitation:
- web pages you visit;
- date and time of your visit to or use of the Services;
- usage and activity data related to the Services;
- websites you visit before or after visiting the Services;
- browser type;
- Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or mobile device to the Internet;
- your computer or mobile device and connection information, such as your browser type and version, operating system, and platform; and
- your device identifier.
You can delete cookie files from your hard drive, or avoid them altogether, by configuring your browser to reject them or to notify you when a cookie is being placed on your hard drive. Not all features of the Services will function as intended if you reject cookies.
The information we collect automatically is statistical information and may include Personal Data, or we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Data we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. If you do not want us to collect this information, please do not use the Services.
Your Internet browser and mobile device may allow you to adjust your browser settings so that “do not track” requests are sent to the websites you visit. SL Trib respects your wishes and will not track user activity once “do not track” signals have been activated.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
C. How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information collected from or about you for any of the following purposes:
- developing, providing and improving the SL Trib products and Services;
- assisting with fulfillment of product orders;
- managing and verifying your account and the identity of users of the Services;
- contacting you when necessary about your account or your use of the Services;
- sending you information and promotional materials about our products and Services as well as our company in general;
- responding to support requests;
- maintaining records;
- conducting internal reviews of our Services to help us better understand visitors’ and customers’ uses of our Services;
- protecting the security and integrity of our Services;
- complying with court orders, legal process and third party requests, and to enforce our Terms of Service and this Notice; and
- any other legal, business or marketing purposes that are not inconsistent with the terms of this Notice.
SL Trib also uses your Personal Data for interest-based advertising, retargeting, and contextual advertising. Interest-based advertising involves the collection of data across different web domains so we can deliver ads that are tailored to your interests. Our retargeting practices allow SL Trib to show you products we think you would be interested in based on your activity on the Services. Contextual ads are customized based on the content you are viewing at any particular time. You can read more about this type of data-driven marketing on the Network Advertising Initiative website, http://www.networkadvertising.org.
We may combine information we collect about you through the Services with other information about you that we receive from third-party sources. By way of example and not limitation, we may use a change of address or other list service to ensure that our records for your account are accurate.
D. How We Share Your Information with Third Parties.
We may share the Personal Data we collect in connection with the Services with third parties, as described below:
1. Third Parties Who Provide Services or Information Through the Service
If you are a user, we may share your Personal Data with project creators, who may use the information to fulfill product orders, develop and improve their products, and contact you about product orders, future products, or their company in general.
2. Public Content
If you post comments, images, and other content to a project page, that information (associated with your user name) will be publicly viewable.
3. Service Providers
We may share your Personal Data with our third-party distributors, vendors, suppliers and others who provide services to us or on our behalf, such as operating and supporting the Services, hosting the Services, providing payment processing services, performing marketing or consulting services, and with processing and fulfillment functions.
4. Third-Party Analytics Providers
5. Our Affiliates
We may share some or all of your information with our subsidiaries and corporate affiliates, joint venturers, or other companies that are or may become under common control with us. We will require these entities to comply with the terms of this Notice with regard to their use of your information.
6. Transfer or Assignment in Connection with Business Transfers or Bankruptcy
7. Response to Subpoenas, Court Orders, Third Party Requests or Protection of Our Rights
We may disclose your information to government authorities or third parties if:
- you have given us permission to share your information;
- we are required to do so by law, or in response to a subpoena or court order;
- we believe in our sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud, or to protect our property or other rights, or those of other users of the Services, third parties, or the public at large, or to resolve or avoid disputes; or
- we believe that you have abused a Service through any conduct that violates applicable laws or the SL Trib Terms of Service.
8. Aggregate Information
We may share aggregate or de-identified information without restriction. While this information will not identify you personally, in some instances third parties may be able to combine this aggregate information with other data they have about you, or that they receive from other third parties, in a manner that allows them to identify you personally.
E. Your Choices
We provide the opportunity to opt out of receiving communications from us and our partners at the point where we request information about you. In addition, you may unsubscribe or opt out of receiving communications from us by clicking the unsubscribe link on email marketing communications you receive. You may not opt out of email that we need to send to you regarding your account and use of our Services.
You may also change certain details in your profile by logging in and revising or deleting your account information.
F. California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice that identifies the categories of Personal Data we share with affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes, and provides contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following address:
The Salt Lake Tribune
90 South 400 West, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
H. Correcting/Updating Your Information
You may have the right to access the Personal Data we collect about you. You may also have the right to correct any errors contained in that information. For details, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I. No Use by Children
We do not knowingly collect contact information from children under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent. If we become aware that a visitor under the age of 13 has submitted Personal Data without verifiable parental consent, we will remove his or her information from our files.
J. Use of Information Outside Your Country of Residence
The Services are directed to users located in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States and choose to use the Services or provide your information to us, you should be aware that you are transferring information to the United States and we will process and store it in the United States. The privacy laws in the United States may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. Your consent to this Notice followed by your submission of information to us through or in connection with the Services represents your agreement to the transfer of your information to the United States.
K. Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may change this Notice from time to time. If we decide to make a material change in this Notice, we will post it on this page. Your continued use of the Services after the posting of changes to this Notice will mean you accept these changes. In some cases, we may attempt to contact you through an email or other address you have provided, so we can give you choices about our using your information in a manner different from that stated at the time of collection. If we make any material changes in our privacy practices that affect your Personal Data that is already in our possession, we will apply those changes to that older information only with your consent or as otherwise allowed by law.
L. Contact Us
Telephone is (801) 257-8742.
The Salt Lake Tribune
90 South 400 West, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, Utah